Washington, DC, Dec 31, 2021 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – As state and local governments, along with other public service organizations, emerge from a difficult two years in 2022, they continue to gain valuable insights into whether How can state employers manage և support their current workforce while positioning themselves to attract new talent? Recent research by the MissionSquare Research Institute (formerly the Center for Excellence in State and Local Government) highlights strategies and steps governments can take to select an employer.
Based on its research, the Institute offers six trends in the workforce to watch in 2022.
- Demonstrating the importance of public sector roles. Throughout the epidemic, the public has learned a great deal about the important roles that public health, education, and other potential local government employees play on a daily basis. The victims of the epidemic have been significant on key workers, especially teachers. At the same time, the sense of public service pride and recognition of the core work of these employees has resumed. Public sector employers in 2022 can use this pride and appreciation to attract new employees, including those who have not previously considered a career in government.
- Follows the burning. Employers should support staff with Employee Support (EAP) programs, health plans, flexibility of employment arrangements, training և development opportunities, pulse surveys or stay interviews, and ethics, job satisfaction, and stress relief strategies. Otherwise, senior workers could join the Big Resignation at a time when 31% of public workers say the epidemic has forced them to think about changing jobs.
- Support for sustainable pension benefits. Given the efforts of many governments to pay the annual payments required for their pension plans, as well as healthy investment returns, overall public pensions are stable and well positioned for the new year. Also, the established payment plans continue to play an important role in providing pension security in the public sector, both as a priority and as additional savings.
- Thinking of traditional benefits. While pension and health benefits will continue to be a central part of public sector benefit offers, innovative state employers in 2022 will explore how to help their employees create emergency savings and other non-traditional benefits, such as student loan repayment. և Health ամբողջական Complete financial health programs.
- Prioritize the Diversity, Fairness Inclusion (DEI) goals. In addition to better reflecting public employers on the communities they serve, retaining a diverse workforce և Involving individuals as valuable contributors to the team can help maintain և morality և foster creativity and productivity. կազմակերպ Organizational work has improved. As with many aspects of governance, DEI data collection and analysis will be able to adapt to the effects of recruitment, staff development, succession planning, ongoing waves of retirement, and automation.
- Focusing on the big resignation drivers. Employees re-evaluate their professional goals – when, how, where they want to work. While this is certainly a concern for the public sector (which is already facing recruitment and retention issues), it is also an opportunity to focus on what gives public sector employers a competitive advantage and how they can respond to it. problems that came to the fore during the epidemic. (eg flexibility, long-distance work, childcare, paid family leave – mental health).
The MissionSquare Research Institute is grateful for the effective, knowledgeable professionals who make up the public service workforce. Their commitment to the public is deeply valued ընթացքում during the epidemic և recovery:. The institute wishes a happy, healthy and safe New Year to state, local employees and their families.
MissionSquare Research Institute (formerly ICMA-RC State և Center for Excellence in Local Government) promotes excellence in other պետական public մարմին local government կազմակերպ public service organizations by attracting and retaining talented employees. The organization identifies best practices և conducts research on pension programs, health ների health benefits, workforce demographics և skills needs, workforce development ության non-profit industry և education. The MissionSquare Research Institute brings together leaders and respected researchers. More information և research և publications available here.